|Program||·Degree of veterinary medicine (regular)/Upgrading·Master program (MVSE)|
|Semesters||11 Semesters +1 Internship semester (undergraduate)|
|Number of Student||·152 (undergraduate)·8 (Postgraduate)|
|Tuition fee||·$250 (undergraduate)·$550 (Graduate)|
|Dean of the faculty||Dr. Abdikariim O. MoogeContacts : +252 63 4400662
|Dean Assistance||Dr. Abdillahi Hassan AliContacts : +2524731967|
|Address:||Gollis University New Campus (Down Town)
Rd. No 1, Civil Service Avenue
|Lecturer qualification||3 Phd, 12 MSCs and 7 DVM|
|Laboratories||·Clinical laboratory·Parasitological Laboratory
|Board of faculty||·Dr. Ahmed jirde : Chair man·Pr. Ibrahim Warsame: Member
·Pr. Abdirah Abdiqadui: Member
·Dr. Abdikariim O.Mooge
Welcome to the Faculty of Veterinary medicine which has been established 2012
Our Faculty offers an innovative program that graduates veterinarians who are career ready. We use a problem-based approach that stimulates contextual learning and promotes scientific inquiry. Our curriculum develops graduates that are capable of leading and being a part of an efficient health care team, providing excellent patient care, and collaboratively serve in the best interests of the public health.
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine also capitalizes on its strategic partnerships to send students into 16 different veterinary enterprises or experiences in their third year of study, and eight or more in their fourth year. These carefully planned — and closely supervised — experiences occur with specialists in a real work environment designed to continue the problem-based
Approach used in the first two years of the curriculum. These real world experiences related to patient care should not be confused with job shadowing or apprenticeships. They are planned, monitored, and assessed. The result is that Gollis University FVM students often average 10 times the clinical skills experiences – and sometimes more – than those in other veterinary medicine programs. Most importantly, since students are exposed to clinical skills required in a real work environment – they are prepared for real work the day after they graduate.
It begins only nothing but now faculty has three effective and modern laboratories (Parasitology Laboratory, Bacteriology laboratory Anatomy Laboratory) as well as digital library and research center.
Our College of Veterinary Medicine takes pride in being a force for social good. Our graduates are known not only as great veterinarians, but for their enthusiasm and willingness to improve the health of their communities, and for their commitment not only to their animal patients, but to their fellow human beings.
Dr. Abdikariim Osmaan Mooge
Dean of Veterinary Medicine
Mobile: +252 63 4400662
1.2 ABOUT THE FACULTY
The faculty of veterinary medicine at Gollis University is the center of Excellence, expertise and point of reference for veterinary issue for the entire country. Our activities include providing primary health and welfare care for a variety of the types of animals, monitoring food safety and the prevention of zoonosis (diseases transferable from animals to human being). The faculty is considered leading veterinary medicine due services we provide. It has been established in 2012 so up to now three batches were graduated the faculty of veterinary medicine. First batch was 22 up grading students and graduated (2014) Second batch was 10 students and released (2016) and newly graduated were 12 students to sum up, we have released 44 Doctors of veterinary medicine (DVM).
- To produce a well qualified animal health professionals.
- To provide good skills and veterinary knowledge to community.
- To take lion’s share animal welfare campaign
- To train meat, milk and food quality inspectors to up hold public health
- Our vision is to lead the veterinary medicine in national and regional level.
- We are going to produce animal husbandry technicians and animal health professionals.
- Our vision is to be the center of veterinary research and reference.
- The primary goal of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at Gollis Unversity of Health Sciences (GU-FVM) is the creation of an innovative, accredited, four-year professional curriculum leading to the DVM degree.
- To make possible that Graduates will be ready to enter employment as entry level veterinarians in the private, public, or corporate sector, or to proceed into postgraduate training programs.
- The second goal is advancement of collaborative, clinically based veterinary research.
- The third goal of the is the recruitment and retention of a diverse and interactive student body, faculty and staff within a university environment in which multiple health professions flourish and interact in instructional and research missions. In GU culture of different disciplines, in which all are connected to a care philosophy, there is a unity of differences that enriches each profession.
- The fourth goal o is the provision of cost-effective education by maximizing the use of contemporary educational technology and utilization of shared resources among existing educational programs (private and public) and cooperative agreements with the private sector animal health care. delivery system
1.3 Facilities and Activities of the Faculty
It begins only nothing but now faculty has three effective and modern laboratories
- Parasitology Laboratory,
- Bacteriology laboratory
- Anatomy Laboratory
- Clinical laboratory
- As well as digital library and research center. In addition to teaching and learning, Faculty staff members and students conduct problem-oriented research, work to solve problems related to animal health and production, and provide community service.
- Its worth mentioned that faculty of veterinary had established Animal Welfare and Environment Club (AWEC) by the year of 2015. This Club works voluntary to the pastoralist community as well as environmental conservation activities.
Community services are the top priority of the faculty and well explained by clinical services given at the faculty Veterinary. Moreover, there is Free clinical services and awareness creation campaign at Faculty and its outskirt is the most favorite activity of the faculty with highly devoted and energetic staffs. In regular period and in line with World Veterinary Day and Rabies Days and other events. The faculty also has planned to expand these activities to other areas of the regions.
Clinical practice for senior students
Cattle vaccination program at Wajale livestock
ALLIED UNIVERSITIES AND INSTITUTION
Faculty of veterinary medicine of Gollis University has strong collaboration and relationship with the most familiar Universities of Ethiopia, Somaliland Ministry of Livestock, Local NGOs and other institutions. Since inception of the faculty; it moved high acceleration to approach its milestones.
Graduate Students and their Occupation
The first batch of veterinary students were upgrading from ISTVS and TASAHA, number of graduate students were a lot and filled a great gap for nation need for livestock. 90% of them work at ministry of livestock and international NGOs, whereas other work LNGOs and Animal Quarantine as pie chart below indicates.