DEPARTMENT OF ACADEMICS AND REGISTRAR
STUDENT TRANSFER POLICY
Students Transfer Policy
Gollis University recognizes that, in the interest of social equity and educational effectiveness, inter-institutional transfer student mobility must be facilitated through the development and implementation of reasonable and definitive policies for the evaluation of transfer courses and the award of university transfer credit.
The authority for the evaluation of transfer courses and the award of university transfer credit rests with the faculty/department and is reflected in The Gollis University Student Transfer Policy approved by the University Senate.
Further, the university transfer credit policy is established in the belief that inter-institutional transfer students should be equipped with a transfer policy adopted by Gollis University Faculties, Departments, Institutes, Colleges and Schools.
Once more the university distinguishes between the acceptance of transfer courses for university transfer credit and the application of said credit toward university degree requirements.
While this policy governs the acceptance of undergraduate courses for university transfer credit, policies and procedures which govern the application of credit should apply uniformly to all faculties and entities. It should be noted that acceptance of transfer courses and the award of university transfer credit shall not express or imply that all transfer credit will be fully applicable toward degree requirements.
The evaluation of transfer courses to determine the award of university transfer credit is a multi-factorial process initially driven by an assessment of the institutional source and its educational quality. However, the internal evaluation and assignment of university transfer credit for courses is done by the respective faculty/department, Institutes etc. A transferring student should enroll at Gollis University for a minimum period of three semesters even if he/she was coming from another institution in semesters 7-8 level.
Roles and Responsibilities of Respective Deans in the Student Transfer Process
The Role of Dean of Academic Affairs in the Student Transfer Process
- Note that the Department of Academic Affairs is where the process of student transfers starts in Gollis University. Normally, it serves as a bridge that connects the institution with the other universities.
- First, it is the task of the Academic Dean to check the institution that the transfer student has come from; this is intended to make sure that the institution is already registered with and certified by the Somaliland Commission for Higher Education or the equivalent if he/she is coming from a foreign institution.
- Second, the Dean of Academic Affairs will send the student to the respective faculty dean in order for him to evaluate and identify the faculty courses that he/she will compensate.
The Role of Faculty Deans in the Student Transfer Process
- The dean of the faculty is the technical person that will fully recommend the number of courses that a student may be compensated for and the time that will be compensated for.
- The dean of the faculty will communicate to the registrar by way of an evaluation letter that clearly specifies the number of courses that a student should take as recourse(s) and the level/semester that he/she will start at Gollis University.
The Role of the Registrar in the Student Transfer Process
- The registrar will finalize the admission of the student into Gollis University only when he/she :
- Submits his/her official transcript from the previous institution.
- Submits to the registrar formal evaluation letter from the department signed by the
department head/chair/dean and approved by the academic dean.
- Pays the registration fee.
- Pays the tuition fee.
- The exact amount of the registration fee will be determined by the faculty that the transfer student is registering in.
Student Transfer Flow Chart